Sunday, September 09, 2007

Imperial Sand dunes (aka Algodones sand dunes)

OK, so I was really surprised at all the things I could do in Yuma. I actually even felt like I could stay a couple more days and be fine. I am also quite happy that I visited Yuma, and now what is the #1 movie in the nation this weekend?? 3:10 to Yuma. I am very familiar with California, but I was taken to an area that I had actually never been, which is a few minutes outside of Yuma.

The Imperial Sand Dunes stretch for 40 miles and reach 300 feet high. Return of the Jedi was filmed there (the opening sequence when Luke is captured by Jabba the Hut and is taken out to a sandy duney area to be eaten by a monster.) The next time you see Tatooine you will know where it really is. Star Gate and Road to Zanaibar were also filmed there.

There's nothing I can say that will do them justice. I hope the pictures will convey some of their extraordinariness. Included is one with a truck in it for scale.

sand dunes.jpg

sand dunes 10

sand dunes 11

sand dunes 17

sand dunes 1

In SP news, my spoiler sent me a spindle! It is gorgeous, which I am glad because I have no spindle spinning skills. I am going to display it in the living room. It doesn't deserve to be hidden away. I love the green stem! Thank you SP.
multi spindle top
spindle
multi spindle

But not to make my Suzie jealous with the newer cuter model... I plied 73 yards of colonial top. I have no idea what I am going to do with it.
red homespun

Tiffany was outside when I was taking pictures of the spool. I tried to get shots of her, but she was too busy bouncing in the grass to stop and pose. This was the best I could get of her. I do however have lots of pictures of grass and tips of her tail. I told her that she needed to pose cute because whatever I got was going up, but ferrets, bad focus. She'll be sorry once she sees this on the net.
tiffany

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jinann said...

Love the spindle! That's really cute! (Glad you found time for your wheel too!)

Those dunes are amazing! I almost expected Omar Sharif to come riding over the horizon!

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute tif! ;-)

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

You can't use a drop spindle? You have wheel!! You're not allowed to just skip ahead like that... You can't walk before you crawl!

You MUST learn to drop spindle! It's required.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Your photos are just lovely :) And what a spindle! Come on, you know you want to give it a try ;)

9:42 PM  
Blogger C+SK said...

OH WEASEL!!!
What an amazing set of photos!!

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona