Saturday, July 26, 2008

Bristlecone Trail

I had the opportunity to escape the desert valley heat for by taking a 25 minute drive to Mt Charleston and hike the Bristlecone Trail. The weather was wonderful-- cool and breezy. So many times as I stepped over pine cones I had to remind myself that I was in the desert. The trail itself is a 6 mile loop with a 700 foot elevation that happens slow enough that it doesn't seem so strenuous, yet is satisfying jaunt.

DSCN0996
View of the ski lifts from trail

DSCN0966
Trail

DSCN0991
Trail
A fellow hiker kept stopping people to ask them to listen to the trees. That was a little granola for me.

The views are so expansive, and not a cactus in site!
DSCN0941
DSCN0943

I think I've been in the city too long, because I looked at the tall trees and realized how weird they looked as just trees and not cellphone towers.

DSCN0934
DSCN0968

Don't get me wrong, I love the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas, but this hike is a wonderful respite! I ran into US Forest service volunteers who provide hikes with trained volunteers. You can also ask for a volunteer to join you on a hike of your own. The guides I ran into disected a flower on the spot to show how it was built for insects to pollinate. They have interpretive hikes schedule throughout the summer. For more info, check them out at Get Outdoors Nevada. I'm thinking about joining them on their Aug 9 Cathedral Rock hike. Dogs are invited on this one, but the regular reader of this blog will know that I would need to borrow a dog if I wanted to bring one because Youknowwho doesn't do outside unless it's to sunbathe.

Stray update: Dani at Knit Las Vegas I think was referring to him the other day when I was in the store. I wasn't thinking at the time, so I didn't really answer her, but here it is: I finally found the crazy cat people I've been looking for: a spay organization, SOS. I am to pick up a trap later in August. Bob Marley (yeah I named him) will hopefully be snatched up, snipped off, and returned with as little stress as possible to us all. I asked, so how often do I check the trap to make sure I didn't catch a neighbor's cat? The SOS person says, bring 'em in anyway. They are a nuisance running around not fixed. Hearing those words made miss CA. Things like that totally happen there. I could just imagine trapping the neighborhood cats, fixing them, and returning them with notes saying YOU'RE WELCOME.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger DMCA said...

Shoot, I'll help you wrangle the neighbors cats to get them spayed.

If you want, I'll help you set traps to get the actual neighbors spayed too.

:)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Gorgeous country up there. You're right - you would forget you're in the desert!

Thank you for the post about Emma. I don't blame you for being so protective of Petunia; I'm the same with Emma. I know she wanted to come be with us, but I couldn't risk it. We have a doggie door that someone else installed, but the thing is tiny and locked from the inside. I've been up all night because I'm so freaked out about someone breaking in and stealing or hurting my baby. I know you understand. (sad smile) Why do people have to suck so bad?

5:39 AM  
Blogger Cassie said...

I've never been to Mt. Charleston except for dinner w/ the fam during the "holiday" season (basically Thanksgiving - New Years), I've missed out! Will have to make a concerted effort during the warmer months - it's GORGEOUS!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Awesome pictures!! I love that tree :)

5:15 PM  
Blogger Pooch said...

There's so much personal renewal in nature, isn't there? Gorgeous pix!

:)

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona