Saturday, April 01, 2006

Joy and Pain

First the joy, SP8 sign ups have started! And I'm one of the hostesses! (let's hope that this one will stay joy and not move to pain) Check out SP8 for sign up info. Among other new things to SP8, you may notice a bunch of hostesses (19). This will hopefully improve (not that there needed improvement there, the previous hostesses did a great job) the experience. Hostesses will have more time to give more attention to less people.

Now the pain, I wanted to buy or at least rent a spinning wheel today. The one local spinning wheel dealer had 5 wheels. One was not set up. One was over 1K and the other 3, she doesn't like or recommend. While I appreciated her candor, why stock wheels you don't want to sell? Is it a shop or a museum?? She recommended online shops and advised against shopping for one Ebay. Did I mention that she was a spinning/weaving/knitting store owner and I was in her shop?? So she gives me recommendations of wheels to look into trying out. She may or may not carry them some day... WHAT?? Another option is to check out spinning wheels at Renaissance Faires, like the one in October HIZ WHAT??? HIZ WHEN??? Is she kidding me??

I am still working the camp angle too... unless they change their mind about having a camp or say their camp sucks and recommend other camps instead.

And speaking of both joy and pain, there is a Smiths marathon all weekend on Sirius Satellite. As a teenager, I LOVED THE SMITHS. When Morissey sang:
And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine


OMIGOD you can't get any more romantic than that. As a teenager, that was love to me. A lot is said about the excesses and neonness of the 80's but that decade did understand angst. Back then Morrissey said he was a cellibate vegetarian. My friends and I lived in continual fear that he would eat a cheeseburger and get laid; therefore, stop writing powerful depressing songs in favor of perky little ditties. I was goth (see Im not all Elton John and Tom Jones though I am dying to see Neil Diamond next), but I could never really look goth, no matter how hard I tried. When you have freckles and live in So Cal and like to surf, there is only so much you can do. I did do the obligatory burgandy hair and unrequited love for my goth friend who came out a few years after we graduated. (It was one of those, I "knew," but when you have a crush on someone, you dont want to think that you have NO shot... but before I officially knew, I could over him by dating his "friend" who went to UCLA (college boy woowoo) having no idea that at the time I was his Katie Holmes.

As a teenager, all of my disposable cash went to buying records. I would get rare 12" imports for a B-side that was unreleased in America but was a promotional copy in Japan. England was the end all be all to me. When I was 12 I was the first kid on my block to have a walkman that played both tapes and radio. And I had that thing with me at all times. Music was EVERYTHING TO ME. Whatever money I made babysitting and then later working in a restaurant and a hospital went to records (and later gas but also records still). I think everyone has that soft spot. My friend Colleen bought perfume with all her money. She wouldn't eat lunch for a month so she could buy a bottle of perfume. Another friend was that way about make-up. Luckily for me, my mom was really into me wearing make-up as part of the teenage experience so I was always good with that. Another friend Caroline, spent all her money on buying accessories and magazines about a car she didn't yet own. Everybody as that IT thing as a teen right?


My new IT, fiber arts: I bought the latest issue of Interweave Crochet. There is a striking blanket made with Koigu. It needs 22 of those expensive little Koigus for 40x43" Want to do the math on that? That's a lot of Smith import singles!

No one would ever be able to touch it, breathe on it etc... but oh wouldnt it be pretty to look at. I can't think of a vibrant and rustic yet cheaper substitute.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelby said...

Wow, that blanket is amazing! And I love working with Koigu- I made a sweater for my 2 year old out of it.

I love your blog! The greens are awesome! I need to find a better background for mine, the navy is just temporary.

5:32 AM  
Blogger C+SK said...

You have no idea - I lived in London with a girl who was ABSOLUTELY insane about Morrissey. So much, I ended up buying Alma Matters. She saw him live at the Battersea Power Station. She was absolutely crazed in love when she came back home after the concert!! :-)

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona