Tuesday, November 21, 2006

some yarny goodness and not so goodness!!!


I have so much sock yarn, I could open a shop. But that didn't stop me from getting more yarn at Stitches East. Yes, I had a personal yarn shopper there. I feel yarned out now. A yarny confession... I like going yarn shopping, but the actual selection process is too stressful for me. I have the worse time with decisions. It is so much easier to give someone parameters and just be surprised. I know. I know.

But this time it worked out well! Among some of my gems:
Fleece Artist (sock yarn)



Shelridge Farms finger weight that will be turned into gloves:


Interlacements:
Alabama cotton yarn (with a funny smell)... 800 yds. Size 7 needles. What can should I make with this... hmmm. I wonder how clapotis would work with it. Or actually because it is a cotton the spiral scarf would be cute or a bag. So many ideas are going through my mind. It has short color repeats so fair isle I dont think would work.


100% wool dyers choice (I think these could be really cute felted bags among other things):



I have also been making yarn! I use the term yarn loosely. My begininng spinning efforts aren't so hot. I have some brown Lincoln spun that I don't think is ready for it's close up if you now what I am mean. But I thought I would post skein #2:



I can't remember what it is made from. These are pics from my cellphone, so picture quality not so hot, but let's just say that close-ups and good lighting aren't going to be doing this yarn any favors. What it lacks in spun consistency, it makes up for with horrible scratchiness! Like if a baby ass is smooth and soft, I guess this is the baby at age 104. It is rough. So I'm thinking rough and low yardage... hmmm a little bag? Striped into something else? I spun it too thin to felt. (That's what I have been saying about all my spinning... ahh I'll felt it and it will look fine!)

I've also spun my first ply of Corriedale. It's nice and soft and springy until I get ahold of it! I hope my poor spinning skills are just a matter of days on the job and will improve.


My new spot for taking yarn pictures is my neighbors front rock lawn. I don't know if she has noticed my photo shoots, but my neighbors across the street have. They wave to me I think so I know that I am not alone and should stop this odd behavior. Or maybe they do it to check if I am OK like this is the first step before the next which is running down the street naked becuase yarn monsters are chasing me. I wish the yarn monster would fix my roof because I am on day 5 of car out of commission!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

yeah! Your first handspun!! I don't think you should make anything out of it - hang it on the wall as art.

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely! I wish I could get my hands on a stash like that.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Penny said...

I'm so jealous of your stash, especially the gorgeous Fleece Artist colorways! No matter how much I have, its never enough :)

I tell my husband I'm investing in yarn for my retirement LOL

8:49 PM  
Blogger Petra said...

Looks like you will be busy for some time ;-)
Somehow the rss feed from your blog doesn't work. At least there aren't any new entries at bloglines arriving from your blog.

Best wishes
Petra

3:04 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

Nice stash! I am jealous of the Fleece Artist. I was at Stitches East and didn't see it! Then again I didn't think to look for it either. Next year!

7:29 PM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Gorgeous yarn scores. I love Fleece Artist.

Your handspun will improve over time. It doesn't look really horrible. Maybe it will make a cute purse or wallet.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Mama said...

Shelridge Farms finger weight - simply beautiful! You can send those gloves right on over to my house, I wouldn't mind one bit!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Jinann said...

Love all the sock yarn.....I don't think that there is such a thing as "too much sock yarn", so I think you're safe.

As for your handspun, it LOOKS GREAT! Way to go! I like the way the colors blended.....that's sooooo cool! The white looks fabulous too!

I like Javajems idea....a friend of mine has a "fiber room" where we meet to spin.....and the artwork hanging from the walls is her handspun. Go for it!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona