Monday, January 21, 2008

Another FO SLIPPERS!

Last June my SIL asked me to make her live-in BF slippers. I thought it a good opportunity to use some LOPI that I bought years ago at a sale. Stitches From the Heart, a charity LYS gets yarn donations that can't always be used for baby garments so they sell them at CHEAP rates. My yarn was a dollar a skein.
vintage yarn
I originally bought it to play around with Kool-Aid dyeing. These slippers were a great opportunity to get rid of all my failed experiments.
pre dyed yarn
I dyed the yarn in red with parts over dyed in a darker crimson.
reddyedyarn

clogs for Alan
Then I forgot about it. But completing the afghan inspired me to picked them back up and finish them.

Have you ever felted LOPI? It is the fuzziest of the wools! Also, it took forever to shrink all the way down. I cranked up the water temp, but I couldn't bring it down its last 2 inches until instead of normal detergent I added Borax and the last bit of shrinkage happened in the dryer. I know people talk about the easy-peasyness of felting, but I ALWAYS struggle with it. I have yet to have a pleasant experience doing it. I am happy with the results, but the over dyeing was too subtle and loss in the felting. But at least it is done and out of my life.
felted slippers

And I am getting stuff too! Another great package from Sibille!
Sibille box 1
sibille box 2
She sent me delectable Euro candy, including what I am assuming are vegetarian gummy bears. She knows that I can't read German, so it could be extra meaty meat gummy bears and only she would know. She also sent a gingerbread Santa (I love Gingerbread!) Also included is this pretty yarn I can't wait to use. I haven't seen yarn with gold color flecks in it. How are those flecks done?? But the true treasures of the box...
Sibille socks
Sibille socks 2
Aren't these socks wonderful?? If I remember correctly the patterns are from Favorite Socks. Am I glad I got her that book! She says she doesnt want Cat Bordhi's new book, but I think might have to send that one to her too... ;) Thank you Sibille! My feet have never felt so stylish and happy!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I always end up taking my felting project to the sink to finish it off the hard way. At least it's good exercise though!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Rachael Hutchings said...

Those socks are GORGEOUS! Nice job Sibille!

11:01 PM  
Blogger C+SK said...

Does Sibile want to be my friend??! :-)

1:50 PM  
Blogger Rhonna said...

Everything looks great! :-)

And I'm leaving a comment because I can't locate your email addy in a hurry, but I need to pick your brain. What fibery shops are in your neck of the woods? A new spinner from here will be in Vegas at Easter and wanted to know where she could/should go for a fiber fix. You were, I knew, just the gal to ask. :-)

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jinann said...

Awesome socks! Love all the packages too....especially "puppy" snuggling your loot!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona