Sunday, June 18, 2006

Migraines & Movies

I've been getting migraines for a little over 10 years. They are painful and inconvenient. My grandmother used to get them and I remember her having suppositories all the time. Su-what?? Luckily, medicine has advanced. I've taken Immitrix (so many tricks to taking that drug for me-- but if you ever do take it, take it with a full glass of water since it is sodium based) I've also taken propolatic based drugs, the current, Inderal which is a blood pressure medication that happens to have a side effect of decreasing migraines. My perscription ran out and I have it housed at the UNLV pharmacy. This would normally not be a big deal to refill, except that blood pressure medication isn't something a university pharmacy would house as much as say The Pill. Yadda yadda yadda and I am on day 4 of a migraine. The first two days I couldn't move. Today it's coming in and out like waves.

But I have had a chance to have my own little movie festival of 70s romantic comedies!
From Starting Over Jill Claybugh sported some fun looks.




The granny square hat. If I had hook in hand, I would be making one right now. OK so fine. She wears these hats because she is a frumpy pre-school teacher and not at all like her competitor for Burt Reynolds, the sophesticated Murphy Brown. But Hooper chooses Jill, so obviously, it is the hats that win him over. How can I be sure? Because in the next movie, An Unmarried Woman>, no hat, and Michael Murphy dumps her:

"oh god I dont want to hurt you... but... she's 26. I met her at Bloomingdales. She asked me if I liked this shirt she was buying for her father. I'm so sorry... I'm in love with her."
"is she a good lay?"


I don't want to look too much into it, but before she started wearing hats and scarves, Jill, (Erica) is getting dumped. Later in the movie she starts wearing knitted hats and she has a relationship with a famous glamorous foreign artist.


As well as having men fighting over her. Clearly, the knitted hat, can do wonders.


But I digress, back to Jill in Starting Over

I think it's cute in that retro kinda way. It did drive me crazy that the border seam didn't meet straight.

The weird hat though was the hat/scarf. I couldn't quite get it:

The long scarf part is always attached and she never does anything with it to make it look kickier. I just didn't get it.

But I wasn't all about 70s movies (and believe me, there were more), I found another cute knit hat in Shall We Dance? Maybe I'm delirious from pain, but I think it's adorable:



It's like a zig-zaggier garter stitch to me.

But the ultimate hat I found, the Tabitha!


Just because a five year old witch is wearing it, doesn't mean that it wouldn't look fabulous on me.

So there you have it. My migrainey movie weekend summed up by camera phone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jinann said...

Glad to hear you're on the "up side" of the migraine. I get them too.....but only get "laid up" for a day and then semi-functional for a second day. Poor you with FOUR days!

I HAD a hat similar to Tabitha's back in the dark ages when I was growing up. Mine was black with black sequins.

5:41 AM  
Blogger C+SK said...

LOL LOL LOL LOL The last part of the post was hysterical!! I'm so sorry to hear about your migraines. I have headaches regularly and it's very disconcerting - I can only imagine how incapacitating a migraine is. Poor you! I hope you feel better very soon!

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona