Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Miles and miles of i-cord

I just finished a baby hat for a friend's latest addition. And I am doing it almost completely from stash yarn! OK, so the stash in question had only been part of the stash for 26 hours, but that counts right? I mean I bought it because I thought that it's always good to have some kitchen cotton around... and evidently I was right! A day later I came up with a use for it.

The pattern calls for 75 inches of i-cord. Normally I would be crying a river, but with my new knitting machine... it is 7 minutes of work and I am lousy with i-cord. I LOVE IT!!! (And before you purists gasp at the knitting machine, it's just like a sewer using a sewing machine.)

I needed more kitchen cotton for the hat, and I was torn. Michael's didn't have the color I wanted, and the nearest store that could have it was super Walmart. We didn't have them in LA, so I admit it was a novelty for me at first when I moved here. It's this oddly Americana mishmash of great and horrible all rolled up into a megamart. However, my little liberal fairy reminded me the fact that they ruin small towns, pay their workers crap without providing insurance, isn't worth it for me to shop there, so I quickly stopped. OK so I will admit if I needed something in the middle of the night (like yarn- dont judge) I would go, but I always seemed to park my car next to the employees spending their break banging away in a car (still wearing blue vests and all, but you know night shift, bad wages and no insurance, eh let them find benefits where they can.) Suffice it to say, I stopped going to Walmart all together. So yesterday I was torn, did I want to drive the 10 minutes to Joann's or go to cross the river Styxx to Hades disguised with thos inspipid smiling faces. I admit, I succumbed. I start to walk into the mouth of the beast and a family comes out. A little old lady pushing a cart walking along side me, then says, "damn wetbacks probably were in their shoplifiting." Wasnt there that joke that old people always look so sweet until you realized most of them are racist? I just looked at her and said THANK YOU lady and turned and went back to my car. I will never ever go into a Walmart again. I just feel too dirty doing it. And at least the baby wont be wearing a hat spawned from Satan. Please don't let me find out anything bad about Joanns!

Confession time. I was dying to see the pics of little Suri Cruise. Everyone that saw her would mention her hair. I wanted to see the hair-- and that little moptop didnt disappoint. I wish though she had a monobrow like Maggie Simpson's nemesis, Baby Gerald. That would have been adorable. But I think I want all babies to look like Baby Gerald.

This guy has taken a picture of himself everyday for 6 years and put them together into a little film. Totally wild and oddly compelling. Check it out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mylerna said...

I strongly support the Walmart boycot - My husband and I do not shop their either for more reasons than I'll go into here!

Keep it up - No Wally world for us :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Jinann said...

Haven't shopped at Walmart for a while....I find the place rather annoying and a bit too big.

That video was kinda weird.....it was a bit compelling though. Wow....just think about the effort....and patience- 6 years....whew!

The hat is darling! What did machine did you use for the I-cord?

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hat is very cute!! I have to admit, I am a celeb junkie too. I was waiting for that picture too. Now, that it is here. What is next? I think I need to see an updated photo of Brad & Ang baby, right?

5:38 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I love the hat! I've had my eye on a knitting machine for a long time. As soon as I have more space, I'm getting one. And a wheel. :-) You're not the only one who's been waiting to see Suri. I can't get over the head of hair that baby has. It almost looks like she's wearing a wig. LOL

3:44 PM  
Blogger tocspaw said...

I can't go into Wal-Mart either. It makes me have a panic attack to see so many people walking around with desparate looks on their faces. Cute hat!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona