Saturday, February 09, 2008

blending colors

Saturday was my monthly spinning group at Nancy's Quilt Shop. This is more than a spin-along as Barb conducts a workshop with always interesting spinning techniques. This time we had a carding class for use in color blending. Drum carders, blending boards, and hackles were all present and available to use. First we had lessons on basic color chart use. With this knowledge in hand I grabbed colors and went to the carder, a Pat Green for Deb Menz carder. I was in a raspberry mood, and I am ALWAYS in a green mood so those were going to be my initial 2 colors. The green was too dark, so I tried mixing it with yellow.
mixing colors
Later white was added to the green mixture to lighten even more. Each pass through the carder made the individual colors less distinctive.

I blended the roving 2 different ways- as stripes (blue was added in because I needed a third color and since it was late, I wanted one that I wouldn't have to mess around with) and also on top of each other.

Laying the roving along side each other yielded:
side by side carding

Layering the roving:
blending colors

Here's a closer look
blending comparison
I was fascinated by the different looks once spun. I was going to be the blogging superstar by plying them, but I can't decide if I want to ply them together or separately on themselves or with other roving. I do need to get them off those bobbins.

Hackles are used to make pencil roving. The roving is put on, and the pulled through a diz.
making pencil roving

Blending boards make a bat. Basically the roving is combed onto the board and then pulled off.
blending board results

Some more random pictures from the day.
comparison
striping vs layer

Llama fiber mixed with wool
llama mixture

Making sparkly yarn
lavender sparklies

This day really opened up my eyes to what a drum carder can do. I could have blended for hours. I want a drum carder (I know what a shock!) I don't know if I want one that is heavy duty ie can take a manky ol' sheep and turn it into combed fiber, or a more delicate one that is more into blending colors and already combed fibers.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachael Hutchings said...

I am so coveting that fiber--LOVE the colors!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Cool!

I've never tried a drum carder before. I guess I just like my roving ready to spin!

Hey great - idea - you can card all the stuff into roving and I'll spin it!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm truly impressed!
And sure that this is something I'll never learn :-(

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I want to do that! I've always wanted to blend fiber, but I don't have a drum carder either (don't exactly have five hundred bucks to drop on one at the moment). That group looks like so much fun! I somehow doubt I could haul my Traditional to a group every week...but just wait until I get my Lendrum finished and I'll so be there :P

12:14 AM  
Blogger Jinann said...

Wow! What a fabulous day you had! Yeah....working with a drum carder does MAKE you have to have one - LOL!

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona