Saturday, March 01, 2008

March o'recipe: brown bread

baked bread

In honor of March, I am sharing a very Irish recipe- brown bread. This is a fabulous quick bread that is hearty, dense, moist on the inside with a crispy crust on the outside. It is easy-peasy to make, so give it a try. No special bread making skills or knowledge required. I can't think of an American equivalent to it. I will be offering 2 versions (the second one later in the month) so you will be able to compare.
dryingredients
1/2 lb white flour
6 oz oats
2 oz bran
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking soda
2 beaten eggs
1/2 pint water
1 pint buttermilk
3/4 lb whole meal flour
2 oz wheat germ

Optional: sesame or poppy seeds to sprinkle on top (I don't bother)

(I know you have to weigh the stuff... always meant to do the conversions, but this is more authentic. They don't use cups etc as measurements in Ireland. If I would have put out this recipe in Feb, then I would have had to do the conversions, but since it's March, pogue mahon.)

Pre-heat oven to 390 degrees.

Mix dry ingredients, add egg, then buttermilk and water. Mix very well by hand and spoon into 2 well-greased loaf pans.
Smooth surface and sprinkle seeds if you want at this point. Bake for 1 hour. Pop out and enjoy.
uncooked loaves

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jody said...

Ooo yummy! I'll have to try that! thanks for the recipe!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Rachael Hutchings said...

That looks so yummy. I'm definitely going to be doing some baking when I get home... Who baked? Toonsters?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Jinann said...

Yum....bread!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


accommodation in Barcelona